Archive - Sports Article
March 28th, 2014
FOUNTAINHEAD RESORT â€” Poteau golfer Hannah Ward was runner-up in Wednesday's Oktaha Invitational, which took place at Fountainhead Resort Golf Course. Ward, the two-time Class 4A state champion and future Arkansas-Little Rock Lady Trojan, shot a 73.
As a team, the Lady Pirates were fourth with a team score of 379.
Rounding things out for the Lady Pirates, Skylynn Terry shot a 95, Dallas Terry had a 101, Alyssa Vineyard carded a 110 and Jenna Stites shot a 113.
The Lady Pirates were slated to play Thursday in the Roland Invitational at Ben Geren Golf Course in Fort Smith, Ark.
BIXBY â€” Spiro senior pitcher Hunter Wilson three-hit the Glenpool Warriors for an 8-0, five-inning, run-rule victory Thursday afternoon in the Bixby Tournament.
Wilson, making his first varsity start, struck out seven batters in five innings.
The Bulldogs broke a scoreless tie with a five-run second inning for a 5-0 lead. Spiro then added a run in the fourth, and a two-run fifth inning got the game to run-rule status.
lub had its fourth tournament of the 2014 circuit Sunday at Lake Eufaula. There were 23 boats with anglers who caught 31 fish weighing a collective 91.28 pounds. Each fish averaged 2.94 pounds, but only one limit was caught.
Dennis Roper and Jeff Hardin won the tournament with 14.32 pounds caught to earn them $550.
Heath Watkins and Paul Larosa were second (11.61 pounds, $330), while Haskell and A.J. Higgins were third (11.42 pounds, $220) that included A.J.'s big bass weighing 4.97 pounds to earn an additional $220.
1. Chelsea Davis, 2. Trey Thornburg, 3. Landon Joyce, 4. Landon Cardwell, 5. Jerry Hurt.
1. Hayden Holland, 2. Dayton Martinez, 3. Caleb Bellew, 4. Joe Fisher, Chris Richards.
1. Chris Richards
1. Jonathan Lem, 2. Cole Hedspeth.
1. Jonathan Lem, 2. Jordan Thomas
1. Dalton Hill
1. Lucas Maloney, 2. Shooter Johnson, 3. Trevor Tankersley.
1. Cohl Hinton, 2. Aden Elmore, 3. Fisher Moon.
1. Railn Jordan, 2. Fisher Moon, 3. Shooter Johnson.
The Heavener Lady Wolves have not won a county softball title since 2003. However, if the seeding for the 2014 LeFlore County Slow-Pitch Tournament holds true, the drought will end.
The Lady Wolves were awarded the top seed of the 2014 LeFlore County Slow-Pitch Tournament at Wednesday night's seeding meeting at Western Sizzlin'.
Pocola was given the No. 2 seed, with Whitesboro third. Poteau, the five-time defending slow-pitch champions, got the fourth seed.
Wister is the fifth, followed by Panama, Cameron, Howe, Spiro, Arkoma, Talihina and Leflore.
The Carl Albert State College Vikings softball team split its home doubleheader Thursday afternoon Murray State College. The Lady Vikings won the nightcap 3-0 after losing the opener 7-1.
The Lady Vikings will return home Saturday afternoon for a 2 p.m. doubleheader against Northern Oklahoma College-Tonkawa.
WILBURTON â€” The Carl Albert State College baseball team suffered its fifth straight loss of the season Tuesday night, falling 9-1 to archrival Eastern Oklahoma State College.
Weather permitting, the Vikings will return home to entertain Rose State College for a doubleheader beginning at 2 this afternoon at Ival Goodman Field.
Then, the Vikings will have the rematch with their archrivals from Wilburton in a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m. Saturday at Ival Goodman Field.
BROKEN BOW â€” Cameron senior golfer Kody Whitehead was runner-up medalist at the Broken Bow Invitational, which took place Tuesday at Cedar Creek Golf Course. The two-time state qualifier shot an 81.
USRA A Modified Feature
1. George Martin, Fort Smith, Ark.; 2. Stephen Muilenburg, Sparta, Mo.; 3. Lonnie Robbins, Alma, Ark.; 4. Brian Williams, Fayetteville, Ark.; 5. Brian Parker, Pryor; 6. Jeremy Vaughn, Pocola; 7. Dan Morris, Fort Gibson; 8. Andy Morris, Okay; 9. Jacob Stoll, Mounds; 10. Daniel Tarkington, Chectoah; 11. Kyle Ledford, Hackett, Ark.; 12. Patrick Goodnight, Braggs; 13. Johnny Bone Jr., Pea Ridge, Ark.; 14. Gene Nicholas, Lowell, Ark.; 15. Chris Lewis, Springdale, Ark.; 16. Brent Holman, Rogers, Ark.; 17. Ted Bayouth, Sapulpa.