January 29th, 2013
Chiefs of police from several towns in LeFlore County along with the District Attorney's Office and Sheriff Rob Seale participated in a meeting at the LeFlore County Child Advocacy Center Tuesday afternoon.
The meeting was held to discuss changes in policy and procedure in regard to child crimes.
Members of the Advocacy Center along with other child services organizations were present to speak during the meeting.
I hope you all had as much fun as I did last week at the 81st LeFlore County Tournament. I knew this could have its share of upsets, good games and some history was made â€” all of which happened.
For the second straight year, an 11th-seeded team upset a sixth-seed team when the Pocola girls knocked off Bokoshe.
For the first time in 11 years, a LeFlore County Tournament title is coming to Poteau High School. The Poteau Lady Pirates won their first county title since 2002 as they defeated Talihina Lady Golden Tigers 42-31 in Saturday night's finals at the Spiro High School gym.
Both teams reached Saturday night's title games with semifinal wins Friday night on Chris Gillespie Court at Ray Henson Gymnasium in Talihina. Poteau romped past Panama 60-29, while Talihina beat Howe 67-57 in rematch of last year's girls title game â€” which was won by Howe.
LeFlore County Emergency Management will host it's annual storm spotter training class in February.
According to LCEM Director Michael Davidson, there are approximately 90 trained storm spotters in LeFlore County and they are an essential part of the early warning system.
If you would like to attend the free class, it will be held Feb. 25 at 6:30 at the Poteau Kiamichi Technology Center. Early registration is not necessary.
For more information contact Davidson at (918) 649-5030 or email at email@example.com
A home was damaged by fire Saturday night in Poteau.
According to Poteau Fire Chief Jon Pickel, an electric space heater is likely to blame for the blaze at 1005 Grady St. The fire occurred at approximately 5:15 p.m. Saturday.
Pickel said the space heater was located in the doorway between a bedroom and the living room. The fire spread to the front porch of the residence doing extensive damage, said the chief.
No one was home at the time of the fire.