A chimney was all that was left marking the remains of a house that burned to the ground early Sunday.
According to Poteau Fire Chief Jon Pickel, firefighters received a call at 12:37 a.m. about a house on fire about one and one-half miles past the old Poteau River bridge on old Oklahoma Highway 112 near the Fairview community.
Pickel said when firemen arrived the home, previously occupied by Dave W. â€śZachâ€ť Cook, was engulfed in flames and was not able to be saved.
â€śThey had located two different places at the same location that they believed fires had started, one was in a camping trailer parked beside the residence and the other inside the residence itself,â€ť said Pickel.
He said the report had been turned over to the State Fire Marshalâ€™s office, which would conduct an investigation.
In May, firefighters were called to the same home in connection with another fire that was concluded to be accidental, Pickel said. That blaze gutted the inside and was blamed on a Scentsy burner left close to a wicker basket containing magazines in the living room.
Cook, who had resided at the home prior to the May fire said he had turned off the main electrical breaker to the house at the supply box but that electricity was still being conducted to other barns and structures on the property.